The plastic

The plastic of the Castle belonged to the collection which was carried out in about the second half of the 18th century by Giovanni Carafa, the duke of Noja, on behalf of Carlo di Borbone.
Carafa (1715-1768) is the author of the famous Mappa topografica della città di Napoli e de’ suoi contorni, published posthumously in 1775. The collection which was originally placed in the royal palace in Capodimonte, was made up of nine models, besides the one in L’Aquila: the Castel S. Elmo di Napoli, those of the Castles of Bari, Barletta, Trani, Monopoli, Gaeta, Siracusa, Portolongone and the one of Messina, which is now missing.
The collection was  first moved to the Officio Topografico, so, from 1872, it was in the Museo Nazionale di S. Martino, the collection was taken a part  between 1966 and 1972, the same year in which the model of the Castello dell’Aquila was moved to a storeroom in the Museo Nazionale dell’Aquila, where it now stands in the Sala del Gonfalone.
Despite it is not in excellent condition, the bridge, the entrance portal and the open gallery at the back were destroyed, it provides precious information about the condition of the building in the middle of the 18th century, before the transformation and the superfetations of the nineteenth century. A part of the building still presents the “merloni sangalleschi” characteristics “a mezzogiorno”, degrading towards the interior with shelves (a ripiani) and cut by horizontal openings to fire the arquebus,  that were later replaced by scarps embankment merlons.
The exterior defence wall is appreciated for its stateliness. It is accessible by the moat through the helicoidal stairs and a sortie trapdoor, built a few years before the achievement of  the model.